- Won Rocky Mountain Emmy Award in Investigative Reporting, 2010.
- Won Rocky Mountain Emmy Award in Advanced Media – Investigative Report, 2009.
- Wrote multiple stories featured on front, U.S. and Justice pages of CNN.com.
- Wrote multiple stories featured across Internet Broadcasting network.
- Established and grew assigned station’s Twitter account to more than 3,800 followers. (Account since deactivated)
- Trained majority of newsroom personnel on ibPublish/Phaedra content management system.
- Recipient of Edward G. Alnutt Award for Editing, Washington & Lee University, 2008.
- Wrote two stories that appeared on A1 of Long Beach Press-Telegram.
- Created numerous slideshows that appeared on all NBC owned-and-operated TV station websites.
- Adobe Dreamweaver, InDesign, Photoshop
- Microsoft FrontPage, Word, Excel
- Avid iNews, Instinct
- W3C standards-compliant HTML, CSS
- Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
- Basic knowledge of Yahoo! Pipes
- Google Analytics, Webtrends
- Blogger, Wordpress
Relevant work and extracurricular experience
- Self-employed, April 2010 - Present.
Freelance web production, development and maintenance for Ecobility Corporation, East Side Packing, Carver Pump Service, Arranaga Arabians; writing for Demand Studios.
- Los Angeles Times, August - September 2010.
Assisted with identity confirmation and comment moderation for teacher database as part of LA Times' series of articles on using value-added statistics to rate teachers in Los Angeles Unified School District; geocoded locations for Mapping LA project.
- Internet Broadcasting Systems, June 2008 – April 2010.
KPHO.com news editor. Coordinated online breaking news coverage for KPHO-TV; wrote, edited and posted stories; posted video clips; built slideshows; created and maintained special sections; worked with producers to drive viewers to the website; worked with investigative team to provide online content for stories; created interactive objects; maintained station presence on Twitter and Facebook.
- Rockbridge Report, Lexington, Va., 2006-2008.
Website producer (Fall 2007 – Winter 2008), television broadcast producer (Fall 2007), contributor (2006-2007). Award-winning online news magazine and affiliated television broadcast produced by the students in the W&L Department of Journalism and Mass Communications. Winner of 2007 Region II SPJ Mark of Excellence Award for best independent news website.
- InGeneral, Lexington, Va., 2006-2008.
Copy editor (2008), staff writer (2006-2007). W&L’s student-run pop culture magazine. Placed third in 2007 Region II SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards for overall best student magazine.
- Society of Professional Journalists – W&L student chapter, Lexington, Va., 2007-2008.
Vice President (2007-2008) and webmaster (2008). Assisted in planning 2008 SPJ Region II Spring Conference and kept Spring Conference website updated.
- W&L Department of Journalism & Mass Communications, Lexington, Va., Spring 2007.
Redesigned department website.
- onPoverty.org, Lexington, Va., March 2008.
Built onPoverty blog and increased site’s W3C standards compliance.
- Online News Association Student Newsroom, Toronto, Canada, October 2007.
Covered sessions for student newsroom at 2007 conference.
- The Press-Telegram, Long Beach, Calif., July – August 2007.
Multimedia/city desk internship. Covered local stories on the print side for the city desk, and produced video content for the website.
- WCAU / Internet Broadcasting Systems, Philadelphia, Pa., June 2007.
Internship for NBC10.com. Watched the wires and edited broadcast stories into print versions for the website, wrote quizzes and prepared numerous slideshows. (Site no longer active)
- West Semitic Research Project, Rolling Hills Estates, Calif., Summer 2006, 2007; Winter 2007.
Sorted and color-corrected archeological photographs of Leningrad Codex, Ugaritic Tablets and cylinder seals, among others. Also updated West Semitic Research and InscriptiFact websites.
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, 2009 - 2010.
- Online News Association, 2007 - 2010.
- Society of Professional Journalists, 2006 – 2010.
Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va., Sept. 2004 – June 2008. Graduated 2008 cum laude.
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism and Mass Communications (Print Sequence); Sociology and Anthropology
Dean’s List, Winter 2008, Fall 2006, Winter 2005